Friday, 08 July 2011

Adventure Travel: What's Hot Now: Waterproof Camera Cases

Adventure Travel: What's Hot Now
These articles that had the largest increase in popularity over the last week

Waterproof Camera Cases
8 Jul 2011, 11:00 am

The Bottom Line

I tested this DiCAPac Alpha waterproof camera case using my Casio Exlim underwater in the Pacific Ocean, on the beach around sea lions kicking up sand, and river rafting near Telluride, Colorado. The DiCAPac waterproof camera case completely protect my camera and permitted me to take photographs that might otherwise have been missed. It's a great buy, especially for the price.

Compare Prices

Pros

  • Keeps out sand, water and snow
  • Tested to 16 feet below the surface
  • Can use flash, zoom lense and viewing screen
  • Good underwater photos
  • Floats with camera inside should that OMG accident happen

Cons

  • Photos blurred from water drops while river rafting, despite water repellant coating
  • Long neck string on the pouch a nuisance while snorkeling so shortened it

Description

  • Soft, heavy-gauge non-toxic clear material plastic pouch
  • All camera controls can be used while the camera is in the pouch
  • Different models accommodate the different positions of lens extensions on different cameras
  • Sealing is done by rolling the opening section of the pouch and then sealing the Velcro strips
  • Coasted lens provides for good underwater photographs

Guide Review - DiCAPac Inexpensive Waterproof Camera Case Protects Expensive Digital Cameras

I was a little nervous about putting a reasonably expensive camera in the water using this DiCAPac Alpha waterproof camera case for the first time. I was reassured after following the recommended testing, which was placing some tissue in the pouch, sealing the case and submerging it in a bathtub. The dry tissue convinced me that the case was waterproof.

I first used the waterproof camera case while white-water rafting near Telluride, Colorado. We were constantly splashed and the pouch protected the camera well. I did have to dry the lens as it did not repel the water drops as well as I had hoped. Photos with a wet lens show blurry sections that I cropped out using Photoshop.

The first time I used the waterproof case on a beach, I promptly dropped the camera in the sand. No problem. I just rinsed it off in the ocean. The best use was while snorkeling with the entire pouch and camera submerged. I used the camera's zoom and flash but left the setting on fully automatic.

The best photos were taken when I dived under the surface and got eye-level with the fish, turtles and sea lions. As with any underwater digital photos, I found it necessary to use Photoshop to increase saturation and contrast for the best pictures. I also used the cloning stamp to get rid of the back splash (light reflections of particles in the water).

DiCAPac makes several other protective cases that can be used for inner-zoom point and shoot cameras,, and for high-end digital cameras, plus for phones, and for wallet contents that you want to keep dry. On the site, there is a chart that outlines which waterproof camera cases go with specific cameras.
Compare Prices

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this feed at blogtrottr.com.

If you no longer wish to receive these emails, you can unsubscribe from this feed.

No comments:

Post a Comment